I'm so inspired by teachers right now. Like everyday I'm inspired by them! Seriously! I want to be a teacher--don't know if I'll go to school for it, I mean I don't think every teacher does--there's just so much teaching done in living. Intentional existence, potent actions, fragrant living--those three are big teachers! I've just come across so many teachers this trip--Jamie Miller, Trevor Kendall, Greg Kier, Denae Yuros, Mark Gudgel--to just name a few. Oh those are just the accredited teachers mind you. I was taught by the woman in the hostel, by the boy in the hostel, by the man who spoke to me at of the poetry shop, by my friends hospitality, by..., by..., by..., by..., and by them too! Soooooo many people.
I spoke at Southwest High School this morning--to a Holocaust Literature class. They are reading Night right now--Eli Wiesel's writings about Auschwitz. I remember reading that book in college and being deeply impacted by Elie Wiesel. He said, "I wanted to come back to Sighet to tell you the story of my death. So that you could prepare yourselves while there was still time. To live? I don't attach any importance to my life any more. I'm alone. No, I wanted to come back and to warn you. And see how it is. No one will listen to me."
Even when Elie had felt loss of all purpose in living--lost so much of what life had been composed of for him before, he still saw that being a teacher was his responsibility--was so purposeful. And he felt like no one was listening. Wow.
Elie won the Nobel Peace Prize the year I was born--'86, and they said that he was a "Messenger to mankind." I think that's incredible. I'm floored by teachers these days--so inspired.
Great debt to all who have taught us in so many settings- even when we refused to learn!- Dad
ReplyDeletei want to be one too.
ReplyDeleteEm, you are a teacher! You've taught a lot of things to a lot of people. I can't wait to have you as a guest to my class someday :)I'll let you teach al you want.
ReplyDeletePS- love the song! "When I get older, I will be stronger, they'll call me freedom..."
Thanks so much for coming today! (:
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to do something similar, such as Crossroads Africa, but I've been a little hesitant about it. It's really nice to know that you've had such rewarding experiences, and it makes me want to go that much more. Thanks again!
-Caylee
I agree with Tina, Em. YOU are already a teacher-and I feel HONORED to be part of your "life classroom". LOVE YOU!
ReplyDeleteBut also...I still think you should be an accredited teacher someday. Please?
ReplyDelete