Mounden--I love him so much. Tonight, way after dark, he said in
English, "Let's RUN!" I ran and put on my pink tennies. He said we'd
run out to the Bere sign, about a mile one way. Not more than a minute
out, we hit a massive blur of bugs that totally clogged the road. I
yelled, "Close your mouth!" But soon we were all stumbling around
trying to get the bugs out of our eyes--Mounden was almost crying, he
said it hurt so much. We kept running though, and I said, "Close your
eyes!" Finally, I said, "Turn! Like this!" And so we ran backwards
for a long time and that was better. After a while, the bugs got
better, and we turned straight once again.
Through the deep black, I could see some swishing white bodies, and as
they got closer, I could tell they were the white robes of men. The
white was much like that of my legs. As I ran past, they hollered,
"It's a white person!" I ran my white legs even faster, way ahead of
Mounden and Kousimmia and Dule. Arriving at the Bere sign, we all
touched it, and turned back on the road. The bugs weren't so bad
now. I was very preoccupied with the fact that we were going to have
to pass the white swishing robes again, and my legs had not gotten any
darker. I told Mounden to run in front of me, and Kousimmia to run
tight behind me--like a sandwich, and maybe, we'd run so fast that my
legs would be a blur, one that would blur in with the bugs and maybe
nobody would know. The plan worked perfectly. Kousimmia asked me
afterwards, "So you're afraid of them?" I said, "No, but its dark, and
you're not very strong."
English, "Let's RUN!" I ran and put on my pink tennies. He said we'd
run out to the Bere sign, about a mile one way. Not more than a minute
out, we hit a massive blur of bugs that totally clogged the road. I
yelled, "Close your mouth!" But soon we were all stumbling around
trying to get the bugs out of our eyes--Mounden was almost crying, he
said it hurt so much. We kept running though, and I said, "Close your
eyes!" Finally, I said, "Turn! Like this!" And so we ran backwards
for a long time and that was better. After a while, the bugs got
better, and we turned straight once again.
Through the deep black, I could see some swishing white bodies, and as
they got closer, I could tell they were the white robes of men. The
white was much like that of my legs. As I ran past, they hollered,
"It's a white person!" I ran my white legs even faster, way ahead of
Mounden and Kousimmia and Dule. Arriving at the Bere sign, we all
touched it, and turned back on the road. The bugs weren't so bad
now. I was very preoccupied with the fact that we were going to have
to pass the white swishing robes again, and my legs had not gotten any
darker. I told Mounden to run in front of me, and Kousimmia to run
tight behind me--like a sandwich, and maybe, we'd run so fast that my
legs would be a blur, one that would blur in with the bugs and maybe
nobody would know. The plan worked perfectly. Kousimmia asked me
afterwards, "So you're afraid of them?" I said, "No, but its dark, and
you're not very strong."
hahaha
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to see you're BACK!!! I missed your musings! AND your beautiful writing.
ReplyDeleteSaying prayers for many things...for you!
Ah, I miss those white legs. :)
ReplyDeleterunning for health, or to be social, and then, running for SAFETY! haha
ReplyDeletethis is great! hahaha
ReplyDeleteTina is funny. "I miss those white legs." I'm glad you're running. For your life.
ReplyDeleteMissing you, Emily. Be well.
ReplyDelete